Image Credit: The Bolton News
A message from Andy Burnham
For too long the Tory Government has prioritised London and the South over Bolton and the rest of the North of England.
The Tories promised us a Northern Powerhouse but they are failing to fund our NHS, police, schools, councils and transport. I will fight for a fair deal for Bolton.
* The Government spends six times more per person on transport in the South-East than in the North
* Local Police have lost almost 2,000 officers since 2010 because of budget cuts from Government
* 99% of our schools are facing funding cuts between now and 2020, leading to teacher redundancies and larger class sizes
* One in four jobs in Greater Manchester pays less than the living wage – with average weekly income £200 higher in London than our area
* Home ownership has fallen more sharply in Greater Manchester than anywhere else in the country – including London
* One in four children in Greater Manchester grow up in poverty
This is a great place with great people. But our potential has been held back for too long.
It is time to build a new future for our towns and together we will make real change happen.